Saturday, April 28, 2018

The summer of our discontent

 A friend sent me this article that I wrote and was published in small literary magazine 
Before: Happy boat captain
called Anna's House. I had forgotten about it, written more than 30 years ago shortly after the Exxon Valdez oil spill. I found it difficult to read, having to relive for a little while that awful summer that changed my life in so many ways. Because of some personal embarrassment I feel over at least one incident in it, I hesitated putting it here, but I decided to, mostly because I want people to know how far the ramifications of an oil spill go into the lives of people involved. The effects of that spill still linger in Prince William Sound and not just in the minds of residents. Keep in mind this was written probably a month or so after the first summer of the spill so some verb tenses might sound funny. Also this comes from magazine pages made into PDFs and then transferred to Word and then to Blogger and there are some crazy formattings I couldn't get rid of. Please bear with me.

Years ago, before I began driving  tourist boats for a living, I was Alaska correspondent for Sports Illustrated. The people there never could get the time difference straight and often  in New York at 9 a.m. they would phone me. Of  course when my phone rang, it was 5 a.m. in Anchorage. Training dies hard. 
Last spring my friend Barbara and I moved into a little house trailer in Valdez. Four days later, March 24, when the ringing phone awakened me at about 5:20 a.m., I wondered what Sports Illustrated wanted and how they'd found me. The caller, the owner of the boat I had been operating for six years, told me an oil tanker had hit Bligh Reef and he needed my boat to haul crews to the site. As dumb from sleep as I was, the journalism instinct proved strong and I called Howard Weaver, the editor of the Anchorage Daily News and told him what I  knew.
 drove to the harbor and navigated the ice on the docks to the boat, which was still in winter layup. We had only just  begun the spring preparations for the tourist season. In less than two hours we had most of the systems functioning  and the engines warmed and could have departed. Instead  we  stood by waiting for orders Calls  on the marine radio told some of the story. The tanker had hit the rocks sometime around midnight. Salvage equipment didn't even begin moving until 11a.m. and didn't arrive until  around 2p.m.
Most of us on the boat  had chosen to work in Prince William Sound because of its  wildness,  its adventure, its beauty. Now an oil tanker was filling the sound with crude, and all we could do was sit at the dock waiting, frustrated at our inability to do anything  when so much should be doneIt wasn't until about 4p.m. that we got the call,ran across Port Valdez to the  Alyeska  pipeline terminal  and picked   up   crew  and learned    one of the reasons for the delay.
The pipeline operators did      have equipment to clean up spills but were unable to load  it  on their barge. And there was another problem. Valdez averages 24 to 32 feet of snowfall every year. Most of that equipment was on shore, covered by a winter's worth of snow.
We departed the terminal sometime after 6 p.m. and arrived at Bligh Reef after dark, guided by the deck lights of the ship on the rocks, and what seemed like hundreds of lights from small boats. Darkness hid the oil in the water from us, but the odor was unmistakable a mile from the ship. 
[ An insert: On the trip down to the ship the owner was sitting out on the bow. About a mile or so from it a killer whale surfaced to breathe right in front of the bow. I turned on the autopilot and stepped out and asked the owner if he had seen that. He said yes and he hoped it wouldn't get into the oil. I thought that too but I had a history with the sound's whales and something else occurred to me. "What makes you think he wasn't trying to tell us the same thing?" I asked.] 
When we reached the ship, I maneuvered the boat against the side of a tug and our crew left to begin work. A tired oil-coated crew boarded for the return trip toValdez.
From that first morning until the middle of October, the work never stopped. I worked 12 hours a day, sometimes 20, seven days a week, with few respites and no relaxation. For the first 18 days we hauled crew changes to the leading edge of the cleanup. The boat, 60 feet long and licensed for 45 passengers, was ideal. Each day we followed the oil a little farther southwest. The last trip was 80 miles.
Each day the enormity of the disaster grew. We learned about oil and spills; new terms entered our lexicon: "boom" and "skimmer" and "mud boat. "We learned how to measure the thickness of the oil on the water: Oil came through the sea water intakes to the boat's toilets foot below the waterline, but didn't come through the intakes for the main engines three feet down, meaning the oil was somewhere between a foot and three feet thick, at least in the first few days,
A t first the oil was brownish sludge on the surface of the water with just the hint of rainbow in it. As it spread farther and thinned,  the rainbows became more obvious. After the first three days, most of the aromatics in the oil had evaporated and the odors were less pronounced. We learned about skimmers and the booms that contain and absorb oil. On the first of the longer trips through the spreading slick,   drove through 35 miles of oil. The white hull of the boat turned brown; we covered all the seats with plastic to protect them from oil on the workers' clothing, and put up signs, "Please don't flush the toilets while we're in the oil," to protect the working parts of the electric pumps.
We were so busy and so tired those first days, I didn't fully appreciate the dimensions of the disaster. It wasn't until about a week and a half into the spill that had chance to reflect. We were in the harbor standing by, a watchword in spill work. I stretched out in the wheelhouse with a newspaper. I'd caught headlines on the run, but I never  had a chance to read report on the spill all the way through. When I did, the immensity of what had happened came over me in swell. laid there in the wheelhouse fighting tears for half an hourSo many people must have done the same when they grasped the amount of destruction to this last sanctuary of wilderness by an economic system that cannot leave things alone.
For those first eighteen days ran the boat on the word of the callout by Alyeska Pipeline Service Company, the pipeline operating company. We had no contract and no idea how much we'd be paid. We'd worked with them over the years and didn't worry about it. I think most Alaskans would have volunteered just to get that oil out of the water and save what we could. By the eighteenth day, Exxon had begun administering the project and we signed a contract with them that ended the same dayfor some reason. The boat,· the crew and I were out of it. I had been free in talking with reporters, and I wondered if Exxon were holding it against us.
We began cleaning the boat and preparing it for the tourist season, and I began to see the changes in attitude around town. Exxon planned to clean the spill by throwing money at it and lot of people in Valdez were cashing in. Boat owners getting five times their normal charter rates were complaining. My boss, who normally chartered that boat for $1,500 a day, turned down an offer of $4,000 a day.
I have to admit here that I was not immune. I could see in front of me maybe a $100,000 summer— $20,000 was a good year normally.
Eventually the owner landed an acceptable contract with the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation. We all preferred working for the state, even though the money ultimately came from the oil company.
But it wasn't to last. We left Valdez the second of May. On the11th, crossing rocky area near Green Island in the southern part of the sound, I hit a submerged rock and all but sank the boat. A tugboat kept it afloat for eight hours until the tide went out. We did what patching we could and then when it floated free on the returning tide, the tug towed it to shallow water.
I was the captain of a boat under tow, watching water slowly rising in the bilges, and ripping out what equipment I could to toss into a skiff running next to me in order to save what was salvageable in case the boat sank under me. Ahead on the deck of the tug right next to the tow line lay an axe to cut that tow if the boat began sinking and tried to pull the tug down with it.
The three-mile voyage was long and slow. When we did reach the beach the boat settled on the bottom with just the cabin showing at high water. For weekwe repaired the holes enough to tow the boat 70 miles back toValdez. Iworked in the rain, slogging in water-filled boots through the clay muck of the beach. knew the $100,000 summer was gone along with my confidence and my reputation as boat driver. The disaster of the oil spill dimmed somewhat.
After the boat returned to Valdez and was safely hoisted onto land, I spent a weekend home reliving the accident. I wanted to stay away from the boat until the notoriety wore off and curious spectators went on to other pursuits. Meantime the owner searched the West Coast for another boat.
After week I   began salvaging equipment and cleaning out the muck. My heart wasn't in a project that only reemphasized the mistake had made. was standing amid the wreckage of boat and psyche when our landlord, friend of many years, climbed up the ladder and entered the cabin. I really thought she had come to offer sympathy. She was boat person herself. Instead she told me she was going to sell the house trailer she was renting us.
Real estate prices had never been this high before. The spill had tripled the town's population; no rental units were available. Homeowners were renting out rooms; some reportedly rented their homes for $11,000 a month. One friend moved his son into a small travel trailer in the back yard so he could rent the boy's room. Since we didn't have to move immediately, we tabled the disaster, figuring something had to turn up for us.
My boss located another boat and I went to Seattle to help drive it north. I felt I'd bottomed out. The long boat trip eased my mind and helped my confidence. We made the trip in five days, running day and night through the Inside Passage and across the Gulf ofAlaska.
My return was anything but triumphant. Someone else was going to operate the boat. It seemed the family in the family operation I'd been working for over the previous eight years didn't want to promote me after sinking their boat. They did offer me lesser job but turned it down, mostly because that job would have taken me out of oil spill work.
Barbara, in the meantime, had her own frustrations. She had joined the volunteer effort to clean sea otters, but was told eventually there was no place for volunteers. She sobbed that she had moved to Alaska to get away from the avaricious crowds of the Lower 48 and now the spill had brought them hereValdez doesn't have a traffic light. There just isn't enough traffic. This summer sometimes it took as long as ten minutes to cross an intersection. She published a satiric newspaper about the spill, then worked on the tour boats for the people who had dumped me.
For the first  time in 20 years didn't have job or any prospects. I'd never really had to look for work. I was recruited out of college; I always seemed to have another job waiting around the corner. I'd never written resume. Once the initial panic had settled, went looking for work and within two days was driving crew boat for Veco Inc., the main subcontractor for Exxon in the cleanup — no future, but it would get us through the summer. The world  had tipped somehow and we had to claw to hold on.
One evening before I left for work I started laughing and explained to Barbara, "Barb, it's 8 o'clock in the evening and nothing bad has happened to us yet." She laughed, too. At 8:30 the phone rang. It was the landlord telling us the house was being sold and we'd have to get out.
The next morning inconsiderately left with the crew boat for the rest of the summer, dumping the housing problem onto Barbara. But through some fortune, the boat broke down three times in the first week and the third time couldn't fix it. After a week of waiting for the part I needed, I gave up and jumped on a crew boat heading for Valdez.
When I arrived, Barbara was gone. The whole mess had become too much for her and she'd gone to stay with a friend in Anchorage. I called her and promised I wouldn't leave until the housing situation was settled. That's what I told my new employer the next morning when I took the broken part into the office. They hired a new skipper.
Barb returned the next day and we attacked the housing problem, but the situation was dismal. We finally came down to choice between the19-foot travel trailer our friend's son had been occupying, or a room at another friend's houseWhen we called our friend to tell her we had decided to rent from her, she told us she was being evicted and asked us if we knew of place where she could stay. (She left Valdez in disgust at the end of the summer.)
At this point our thinking was muddled; we just weren't looking at all the angles. It took one sentence from Barbara's father to turn us around. He said, "You just spent all that money for a car and you can't spend even less to buy a house trailer?Within twdays wlocateaaffordable trailer sold by a long-time Valdez resident who was fed up with the chaos and was getting out.
We went to the bank I had been using for more than 15 years for a loan. The manager said the loan was small enough he could grant it on his word. Then he smiled and said, "no." That was a shock. We were driving trying to figure out what to do when we passed the other bank in town and Barbara suggested we try there. I had never been inside the door. But, we gave it a try and this banker heard our case and then asked, "do you need the money today or can you wait until Monday?" I could have kissed her.
One problem solved, but was still jobless. In a couple of days, however, began driving little 28-foot pleasure boat shuttling people between Valdez and cleanup sites out in the the sound.
My daughter, Ariel, who usually spent summers with me on the boat, came to Valdez. Her visit underlined the effect of the spill on us. I saw her only a couple of times during the summer.
Early in the summer, after miscue in semantic differential, Barbara and decided to get married before she returned to teach school in the fall. So, amid all the other hectic activity we planned wedding. Actually Barbara planned it; was gone12 hours day, seven days a week driving boat.
I almost missed the ceremony. I had found someone to relieve me on the boat, but two days before the wedding the boat was called out for four-day trip. My substitute couldn't go for that long and we scoured the docks for someone else. Five minutes before departure,we recruited  another skipper who could take my place. Get me to the church on time.
We were married in a simple civil ceremony August18. Barbara's family and what few friends weren't working on the oil spill joined us. We postponed our honeymoon and I went back to work and kept at it until the middle of October. As the days dragged on I declined slowly. I am used to working a hundred days straight in the summer, but not 200. Every waking minute was consumed by the spill and even the simplest of tasks outside work turned monumental. For the first time in my life forgot to pay bills. When Exxon called in the boat contracts, putting us all out of work, many of us cheered.
With all that happened to us personally, lost track of what the spill had done to Prince William Sound. I had seen all the work sites out in the sound, all the attempts at cleaning, all the inefficiency of effort, the lack of coordination, the politics, and most  of  all, the inability to pick up the oil. Exxon claims to have picked up about 20 percent of the oil spilled by the tanker. The company claims another 20 percent evaporated. (Historically the best oil recovery from an oil spill is around 11 percent.) I know I've walked on beaches they treated and dug holes a foot down that filled with oil. Oil clinging to rocks in places can't be scraped off with knife, and even on the last few days before shutdown, inspectors were finding beaches still fouled with what came to be called mousse, the brownish coagulated slime of aged crude.
In the long run the impact of people on the sound may have been even worse than the oil. What six thousand people can do to wilderness is unbelieveableI'd gone into bay where I'd spent time before the spill, quiet place where mine was the only boat, and found virtual city with hundreds of boats and as many as thousand people. At one of my favorite little bays, where I'd watched for killer whales, I estimated five hundred people living on barges and boats. Maybe a hundred cleaned the beach. The rest all provided support of some kind or another.  And this whole effort was aimed at about half mile of the thousand miles oiled.
AFTER: 12 years as an oil spill 
response consultant.



During my last boat operationstaking marine surveyors around Port Valdez to inspect barges and their loads before they headed south after the summer, I found myself working for Outsiders who had come to Valdez to exploit the spill. The people I was working with, the cargo surveyors, wanted only to get paid and get out. The Seattle woman who worked with me as crew joked about having PMS, "Point Me South." Since most of the local boats had quit, even the radio talk was restricted to Outside boats. I felt like an alien in my own country.
wondered how many people working on the spill  saw the sound only in terms of a fast buck. One day I took some Outsiders to a couple of beautiful bays near Valdez just  to showthem what the sound really is like. To their credit, they appreciated what they saw.
I never thought I'd look forward to a cold snowy quiet day in Valdez, but when it came and I looked out over a quiet harbor, a few snow-covered boats, wave of relief swept over me. It was overthis summer of disruptionI hope that time will wash away the memories of this year, but I'm afraid it will do little more than the winter waves will do to wash the beaches clean.


During the mayhem a friend, an accomplished poet who had shared the sound with  me a time or two, sent me this poem:


There Is No Way Back
By Patricia Monaghan

On the radio, an old friend's voice
chokes with anger and grief.
At the Stony Island intersection
I am stuck, gridlocked in place.

Stalled in traffic uselessly
weeping I listen to the news.
The light turns yellow, red
again; a sudden cry of horns.

Salmon in the tide pool, whales
beside the boat: memories flood me.
The traffic surges forward,
each car spuming its exhaust.

Now the announcer decries
the otters' oil-soaked coats.
I speed home along the freeway
surrounded by the names of animals.

I have fished the Sound, watching
slow fog fall on the blue shore.
--Someone passes me, too fast.
I brake as I approach the exit.

Anchored over the crab pots
I have watched the day moon rise.
A red sun sets now over
the Halsted Street bridge.

I want this to be easier. I want
to forget that oil fueled our boat.
I want to hate the vivid city
as a kind of expiation.

But I've burned trees as fuel.
I have boiled crabs alive.
My trapper friends kill for luxury.
Gardeners rub their hands with Vaseline.

There is no way now to be innocent,
no way for it not to be night and
each of us unprepared to pilot
through these rocky narrows.

And there is no way back.  There is no
part of the world that is not part
of the world.  There is not one of us
who was not on the bridge that night.




Comments from facebook:
Jan Williams Simone This is a heartbreaking and deeply personal story, Tim. Thank you for sharing it with us. And now? What has permanently changed? I wrote about it, too, when it happened, because I was a feature writer for a small newspaper But I could only cry for what was lost from very far away. To live through all of it - well, I can see that it was hell.
Sharon Wright I am glad you posted this, Tim. It was a solid piece of writing then and is now. We all lost somethings bigger than just our innocence. Dave & I & our family lost our annual Spring trip and income from the herring roe on kelp fishery and he was cheated out of any bit of settlement in spite of extensive documentation. To go out there now & miss the porpoises, orcas, the massive flocks of those black ducks with the orange-red feet, etc. etc. is still heartbreaking.
Karen Lachance I am determined never to forget the spill and the aftermath.
Carrie Ann Nash Thank you for sharing that. You write beautifully. The spill, the changes for all of us from the spill, that inability to return to innocence is still an open wound, at least for me. Time passes but the helplessness and fury and violation is fresh for me. And of course, the 52 year old me regrets that our pain translated into more chaos and pain for you. But, thank you for posting this piece.
Tim Jones Thank you Carrie. I have always understood.
Wendy Wiedenman The spill forced me out of housing and I lost hope, my heart in Valdez 
Joe May Hard reading, Tim. Some of it still must hurt.
Kathy Flesch Thank you for sharing the so real story. I could imagine the colours, smell of oil, turmoil, heartbreak. I remember when it happened, tv news...but your post made it so real for me...
😱











No comments:

Post a Comment

Best headlines ever

Naked pair fed LSD gummy worm to dog

Owners of a Noah's Ark replica file a lawsuit over rain damage

In Southcentral Alaska earthquake, damage originated in the ground, engineers say

A headline that could only be written in Alaska: At state cross country, Glacier Bears and Grizzlies sweep, Lynx repeat, Wolverines make history — and a black bear crosses the trail

Man kills self before shooting wife and daughter

Alabama governor candidate caught in lesbian sperm donation scandal

Sister hits moose on way to visit sister who hit moose.

Man caught driving stolen car filled with radioactive uranium, rattlesnake, whiskey

Man loses his testicles after attempting to smoke weed through a SCUBA tank

Church Mutual Insurance won't cover Church's flood damage because it's 'an act of God'

Homicide victims rarely talk to police

Meerkat Expert Attacked Monkey Handler Over Love Affair with Llama Keeper

GOP congressman opposes gun control because gay marriage leads to bestiality

Owner of killer bear chokes to death on sex toy

Support for legalizing pot hits all-time high

Give me all your money or my penguin will explode

How zombie worms have sex in whale bones

Crocodile steals zoo worker's lawn mower

Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles

Nude beach blowjob jet ski fight leads to wife's death

Woman stabs husband with squirrel for not buying beer Christmas Eve

GOPer files complaint against Democrat for telling the truth about Big Lie social posts

Man shot dead on Syracuse Street for 2nd time in 2 days

Alaska woman punches bear in face, saves dog

Johnny Rotten suffers flea bite on his penis after rescuing squirrel

Memorable quotations

The best way to know you are having an adventure is when you wish you were home talking about it." — a mechanic on the Alaska State Ferry System. Or as in my own case planning how I will be writing it on this blog.

"You can't promote principled anti-corruption without pissing off corrupt people." — George Kent

"If only the British had held on to the airports, the whole thing might have gone differently for us." — Mick Jagger

"You can do anything as long as you don't scare the horses." — a mother's favorite saying recalled by a friend

A poem is an egg with a horse inside” — anonymous fourth grader

“My children will likely turn my picture to the wall but what the hell, you only get old once." — Joe May

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” — Ernest Hemingway

When I write, I feel like an armless, legless man with a crayon in his mouth. Kurt Vonnegut

“If you wrote something for which someone sent you a cheque, if you cashed the cheque and it didn't bounce, and if you then paid the light bill with the money, I consider you talented.”Stephen King

The thing about ignorance is, you don't have to remain ignorant. — me again"

"It was like the aftermath of an orgasm with the wrong partner." – David Lagercrants “The Girl in the Spider’s Web.”

Why worry about dying, you aren't going to live to regret it.

Never debate with someone who gets ink by the barrel" — George Hayes, former Alaska Attorney General who died recently

My dear Mr. Frost: two roads never diverge in a yellow wood. Three roads meet there. — @Shakespeare on Twitter

Normal is how somebody else thinks you should act.

"The mark of a great shiphandler is never getting into situations that require great shiphandling," Adm. Ernest King, USN

Me: Does the restaurant have cute waitresses?

My friend Gail: All waitresses are cute when you're hungry.

I'm not a writer, but sometimes I push around words to see what happens. – Scott Berry

I realized today how many of my stories start out "years ago." What's next? Once upon a time?"

“The rivers of Alaska are strewn with the bones of men who made but one mistake” - Fred McGarry, a Nushagak Trapper

Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stared at walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing. – Meg Chittenden

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. – Franz Kafka

We are all immortal until the one day we are not. – me again

If the muse is late, start without her – Peter S. Beagle

Substitute ‘damn’ every time you’re inclined to write ‘very;’ your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be. ~Mark Twain Actually you could do the same thing with the word "really" as in "really cold."

If you are looking for an experience that will temper your vanity, this is it. There's no one to impress when you're alone on the trap line. – Michael Carey quoting his father's journal

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. – Benjamin Franklin

It’s nervous work. The state you need to write in is the state that others are paying large sums of money to get rid of. – Shirley Hazzard

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence -- Bertrand Russell

You know that I always just wanted to have a small ship to take stuff from a place that had a lot of that stuff to a place that did not have a lot of that stuff and so prosper.—Jackie Faber, “The Wake of the Lorelei Lee”

If you attack the arguer instead of the argument, you lose both

If an insurance company won’t pay for damages caused by an “act of God,” shouldn’t it then have to prove the existence of God? – I said that

I used to think getting old was about vanity—but actually it’s about losing people you love. Getting wrinkles is trivial. – Eugene O’Neill

German General to Swiss General: “You have only 500,000 men in your army; what would you do if I invaded with 1 million men?”

Swiss General: “Well, I suppose every one of my soldiers would need to fire twice.”

Writing is the only thing that when I do it, I don’t feel I should be doing something else.—Gloria Steinem

Exceed your bandwidth—sign on the wall of the maintenance shop at the West Coast/Alaska Tsunami Warning Center

One thing I do know, if you keep at it, you usually wind up getting something done.—Patricia Monaghan

Do you want to know what kind of person makes the best reporter? I’ll tell you. A borderline sociopath. Someone smart, inquisitive, stubborn, disorganized, chaotic, and in a perpetual state of simmering rage at the failings of the world.—Brett Arends

It is a very simple mind that only knows how to spell a word one way.—Andrew Jackson

3:30 is too late or too early to do anything—Rene Descartes

Everything is okay when it’s 50-below as long as everything is okay. – an Alaskan in Tom Walker’s “The Seventymile Kid”

You can have your own opinion but you can’t have your own science.—commenter arguing on a story about polar bears and global warming

He looks at three ex wives as a good start—TV police drama

Talkeetna: A friendly little drinking town with a climbing problem.—a handmade bumper sticker

“You’re either into the wall or into the show”—Marco Andretti on giving it all to qualify last at the 2011 Indy 500

Makeup is not for the faint of heart—the makeup guerrilla

“I’m going to relax in a very adult manner.”—Danica Patrick after sweating it out and qualifying half an hour before Andretti

“Asking Congress to come back is like asking a mugger to come back because he forgot your wallet.”—a roundtable participant on Fox of all places

As Republicans go further back in the conception process to define when life actually begins, I am beginning to think the eventual definition will be life begins in the beer I was drinking when I met her.—me again

Hunting is a “critical element for the long-term conservation of wood bison.”—a state department of Fish and Game official explaining why the state would not go along with a federal plan to reintroduce wood bison in Alaska because the agreement did not specifically allow hunting

Each day do something that won’t compute – anon

I can’t belive I still have to protest this shit – a sign carriend by an elderly woman at an Occupy demonstration

Life should be a little nuts or else it’s just a bunch of Thursdays strung together—Kevin Costner as Beau Burroughs in “Rumor has it”

You’re just a wanker whipping up fear —Irish President Michael D. Higgins to a tea party radio announcer

Being president doesn’t change who you are; it reveals who you are—Michelle Obama

Sports malaprops

Naked pair fed LSD gummy worm to dog

Owners of a Noah's Ark replica file a lawsuit over rain damage

In Southcentral Alaska earthquake, damage originated in the ground, engineers say

A headline that could only be written in Alaska: At state cross country, Glacier Bears and Grizzlies sweep, Lynx repeat, Wolverines make history — and a black bear crosses the trail

Man kills self before shooting wife and daughter

Alabama governor candidate caught in lesbian sperm donation scandal

Sister hits moose on way to visit sister who hit moose.

Man caught driving stolen car filled with radioactive uranium, rattlesnake, whiskey

Man loses his testicles after attempting to smoke weed through a SCUBA tank

Church Mutual Insurance won't cover Church's flood damage because it's 'an act of God'

Homicide victims rarely talk to police

Meerkat Expert Attacked Monkey Handler Over Love Affair with Llama Keeper

GOP congressman opposes gun control because gay marriage leads to bestiality

Owner of killer bear chokes to death on sex toy

Support for legalizing pot hits all-time high

Give me all your money or my penguin will explode

How zombie worms have sex in whale bones

Crocodile steals zoo worker's lawn mower

Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles

Nude beach blowjob jet ski fight leads to wife's death

Woman stabs husband with squirrel for not buying beer Christmas Eve

GOPer files complaint against Democrat for telling the truth about Big Lie social posts

Man shot dead on Syracuse Street for 2nd time in 2 days

Alaska woman punches bear in face, saves dog

Johnny Rotten suffers flea bite on his penis after rescuing squirrel