We came in for Thanksgiving. We brought in a new chair for kids that folds into a bed. On the way in his mom's sled broke. We got to the Earth station around 3 pm. Bob Rosenberg was there and said he had seen bear tracks in the trail. Everything went smoothly. We could still see where I broke through the ice at Whisky Slough a couple of weeks earlier. We ate too much soup. No bears,
Wednesday, November 27, 1996
About +10 F at wakeup. We could see the mountain for part of the day. It started snowing in the evening. I went out and got the rest of our stuff. Did a big 3-D puzzle. Justin won at Trivial Pursuit. Built a big Lego house and got ourselves orcanized.
Thursday November 28, 1996
Snowed lightly all day. temp +20˚F. Rollie, Mary, Melissa and Megan Ostermick came out for Thanksgiving. The two girls (in their teens) skijored all the way in. Then with Justin they played all afternoon including making a big trail down our sledding hill. The adults talked all afternoon while we prepared dinner and drank cranberry slush with a little vodka mixed in it. Went out around 9 p.m. to. get the Ostermicks home and I didn't get back until 11. The trail was good and fast. I noticed what looked like several moose bed indentations in the snow near the trail up to the cabin
Friday November 29, 1996
Snowed lightly in the morning, 10-20˚, The mountain came out for a little while. Temp turned colder in the evening.
Justin had a long nap. Then he and his mother did a lot of playing in the snow, sledding and even made a sled jump. I tried to make a trail up to the lake but didn't get the whole way. I fixed the other snowmachine. Ridlings are in across the trail. They said they saw a big bull moose in the swamp area. I won at trivia.
Saturday November 30, 1996
5˚ at wakeup.
Justin took his snowboard in deep snow to the lake. He even passed me on the snowmachine where I was stuck on the way. Then he and I went over to the Ridling's where he played with the kids while John told me about that moose. It was a big bull ran and right at them. they took off and it followed them for a minute or two.
In the afternoon all the kids came over to our place and everybody took to our sled hill. After that almost worn out, most of the kids went back to their cabin, all but Josh who stayed to play with Justin indoors for a while. We all worked on a puzzle. Outside the clouds faded a little but the mountain never came out. Snow started toward evening. Justin' mom skied for a while until she learned about that moose. I made Justin's desk ready to take back to Valdez. He drove the machine almost all the way home. About 10˚ in the evening. We go out tomorrow.
Saturday December 21, 1996
Clear and 18˚ Mountain was out all day. I was already there; Justin and his mother came over from Valdez today. They arrived at the trailhead around 2:30 p.m. Had been using her snowmachine because mine was in the shop having quit from the dunking it got in Whiskey Slough about a month earlier. I moved to the four-wheeler (OK as long as the trail remained clear and hard packed). Justin rode with his mom. The cabin was. warm and everything was in its place. I had brought most of our supplies when I came out earlier. Reasonably calm for a first day, but tired we all went to bed early.
Sunday December 22, 1996
Clear and 10 to 20˚ Mountain was out all day. Got the Christmas tree, best one yet. Set it up in the northwest corner. Justin won the Garfield game. We took it easy all day;
Monday December 23, 1996.
The day before the day before Christmas
Clear and sunny for one of the shortest days of the year, 10-20˚ Mountain was out. We woke up early enough to see a spectacular moonset over the mountain.
I cut a dead spruce down for firewood but the chainsaw wasn't working very well and I had to stop before bucking it up into stove lengths. Justin and his mom made a fort in the branches. Then then they went for a walk around Squirrel Hill. Later she went across the big hill, coming down the big slope behind the house.
Tuesday December 24, 1996. Christmas Eve
10˚ at wakeup and a bright full moon moving through a few clouds, and we saw another spectacular moonset.
The pile of presents under the tree looked bigger. Justin and I went out the trail all the way to Talkeetna for some ice cream. He ate two fudgesicles. We saw four moose including a big bull still sporting antlers. I wondered if it was the one that chased John Ridling at Thanksgiving and we kept our distance. When we returned, the pile of presents looked bigger. Justn and his mother went sledding for a while and worked on their fort in the fallen tree at the bottom of the hill. They uncovered a pile of moose nuggets. (In winter moose nibble on twigs for sustenance and as a result leave droppings consisting mostly of digested wood in the form of nuggets.) When they came back the pile of presents looked even bigger. I read Justin some of "The Hobbit" and he fell asleep. So did his mom. When they woke up they said the presents pile looked bigger. Outside we heard Boone's trail howl as he chased squirrels.
Later we had dinner and let Justin open one present. He was worried Santa wouldn't find us out here in the woods. I told him I would take care of that and I went about lighting up a runway for Santa. I had planned for this. I took a box of votive candles and a bunch of brown sandwich bags and headed down the trail. At intervals, I spread open a bag, put a candle in it, and lighted it. When I finished we had a lighted landing strip all the way out to the main trail. That satisfied Justin and he stood for several minutes looking out the picture window at the curving line of lights on the trail.
Temperature 0˚ at 7:30 pm.
Wednesday December 25, 1996. Christmas Day
10˚ to 20 ˚ and. clear with mountains all day. Justin rose very early but we held him back, only allowed opening his stocking. We ate a quick breakfast and then tackled the pile of presents. Three moose were hanging around at the bottom of the hill most of the morning. I called them "Christmoose." At one point Boone chased a moose but he gave up quickly fighting deep snow that the moose got through much easier than he did. Mom and dad were kind of grumpy all day for lack of sleep.
Thursday December 26, 1996.
10-20˚ Clear and the mountains were out.
| Morning light |
Friday December 27, 1996.
Clear and warmer, above 20˚ Me moping all day for some reason. Justin and his mother went sledding for a while. I asked Sue when she called John if she would ask if he would bring me back a bar and chain for my chainsaw. We visited with the Ridlings for a while and came home late. I read Justin a little more of "The Hobbit."
Saturday December 28, 1996.
Clear, 5˚ at wakeup. Mountains out with some thin clouds overhead.
The whole thing
No comments:
Post a Comment